While calculating the cost of hair transplant treatment, many factors are evaluated together. However, the biggest factor of the cost of hair transplant treatment is how many grafts are surgeons use when restoring patients’ hair. So, it’s understandably, one of the most commonly asked questions at hair transplantation is ‘How many grafts do I need?’.
Grafts mean that piece of tissue extracted from the healthy area which is usually the back and sides of patients’ scalp. In some cases, these grafts contain a single hair root, and also in some cases, it can contain lots of hair roots, or these grafts can contain hair roots at all.
Extracting grafts mostly depends on surgical skills. So, it’s important that the extract grafts without any damage to the hair roots. For this reason, if patients pay for $2000 per graft, patients will approximately end up with anywhere between 2 thousand to 4 thousand hair roots.
If we come to the subject of how many grafts do patient need, it depends on the recipient area that surgeons plant hair follicles.
- If the patient’s recipient area;
- is the front side of the head and if it’s small, patients may need 500 grafts,
- is the front of the head and if it’s big, patients may need 500 to 1000 grafts
- is the front of the head and top of the head and if it’s small, patients may need 1500 to 2000 grafts
- is the front of the head and top of the head and if it’s big, patients may need 2000 to 2500 grafts
- is top of the head and it’s all bald, patients may need 4000 to 6000 grafts.
Bottom line is, how many grafts patients’ need depends on the size of the patient’s recipient area. It is also important in determining the number of grafts in the price paid by the patient.